39 Questions with Dr. Squires
Get to know the newest doctor at our Mass Ave and Fountain Square locations, Dr. Jessica Squires! Dr. Squires recently joined our crew in May after graduating from Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine with her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Squires has a special interest in oncology, internal medicine, and client education. Learn about her interests outside of work, her current favorite Indy spots, and so much more!
1. What was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
Dr. Squires: Before starting veterinary school, I worked for a biomedical engineering company assisting with development of products used in human interventional radiology procedures.
2. At what age did you know you wanted to become a veterinarian?
Dr. Squires: If you ask my family, they all knew I would become a vet before I did. I was always interested in it as a career because I loved animals but it wasn’t until I was about 14 that I decided for sure.
3. What three words would you use to describe City Way Animal Clinics?
Dr. Squires: Friendly, compassionate, and welcoming.
4. What do you like most about City Way Animal Clinics?
Dr. Squires: I love living AND working downtown. My favorite part of my job is seeing pets of friends I’ve met at my apartment or simply through living in the area. Our clients here truly care about their pets and always want to do the absolute best for them, too.
5. What is your proudest moment at City Way Animal Clinics?
Dr. Squires: I had an owner shed a couple tears (from happiness, of course) when I was able to help clear her dog’s ear infection when she’d been dealing with the issue for several weeks
6. What aspect of being a veterinarian do you enjoy the most?
Dr. Squires: Client education and bonding with clients over their pet – I love taking time to teach clients about different diets for their pets, diseases, medications, preventatives… you name it.
7. What is the most recent book you read?
Dr. Squires: The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins
8. What is your all time time favorite movie?
Dr. Squires: How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days… big fan of rom-coms.
9. Who is your favorite actor of all time?
Dr. Squires: Any movie with Denzel Washington is a good movie.
10. Who is your favorite actress of all time?
Dr. Squires: Jennifer Aniston … without a doubt.
11. Favorite board game of all time?
Dr. Squires: Trouble!
12. If you were an animated character, who would you be and why?
Dr. Squires: Nemo… he just keeps swimming no matter how many obstacles life throws at him.
13. Do you have a favorite line from a movie?
Dr. Squires: Not from a movie, from from a TV show – “We were on a break!” – Ross from Friends
14. Any random facts you could share with us?
Dr. Squires: I’m kind of an IndyCar junkie…
15. Best vacation or travel spot?
Dr. Squires: Hollywood, Florida is my favorite prednisone spot to travel to for a yearly vacation. Cabo San Lucas is great, too. Would love to travel somewhere in South America, Thailand, and go back to Greece.
16. Do you recall any embarrassing moment at work?
Dr. Squires: I fell off out of a chair the other day … which isn’t abnormal for me in my personal life, either. I’m kind of a klutz.
17. How do you define success?
Dr. Squires: Doing exactly what I’m doing now… starting life in a new city, meeting new (amazing) friends, living life in the moment, not taking life too seriously, and surrounding myself with people I love.
18. If you could only drink one cocktail or beer for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Dr. Squires: Margaritas will always be my fave.
19. What is your current favorite place to visit in Indianapolis?
Dr. Squires: Ruoff Music Center because it means I’m at a concert (and it’s probably summer!)
20. If you could witness any historical event, what would you want to see?
Dr. Squires: Prince’s last concert. My mom and I made a pact that if his tour got close enough, we’d pay whatever it took to see him. We never made it.
21. If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Dr. Squires: Pizza or nachos… I couldn’t pick between them if my life depended on it.
22. If you were an animal what would you be?
Dr. Squires: Tiger.
23. What is your motto or personal mantra?
Dr. Squires: It isn’t a quote but song lyric… “Life is short, but sweet for certain.” Great reminder that like the lyric says, life is short so don’t sweat the small stuff and focus on the good.
24. What celebrity do people think you look like?
Dr. Squires: My family says Kate Middleton? Work friends say Lucy Hale.
25. What do you always want to try but have not yet?
Dr. Squires: Paddle boarding. Or go on a cruise, I’ve never been on one.
26. What is your favorite thing to do on your days off?
Dr. Squires: Wake up early (weird, I know) and walk to a coffee shop with my dog. Just sit there, enjoy a coffee, and read a book.
27. What is an ability you wish you had?
Dr. Squires: Speak Spanish fluently.
28. What is one item on your bucket list?
Dr. Squires: Backpack through Europe for a month.
29. What is the first concert you attended?
Dr. Squires: Backstreet Boys! And you bet I’ll see them if they ever go on tour again.
30. What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
Dr. Squires: Either a beach house and a boat, or a lake house and a boat.
31. What is the most important thing you have learned in the last five years?
Dr. Squires: Life isn’t always easy and you WILL be thrown curve balls, just remember to keep your head held high and don’t give up. You’ll eventually get where you are supposed to be.
32. What is your favorite sports team to watch on tv?
Dr. Squires: Pacers! If I’m not already at the game.
33. What places do you like exploring in Indianapolis?
Dr. Squires: Different restaurants around Indy – my friends and I have what we call “restaurant club” where we try a different restaurant every week.
34. What is your hidden talent?
Dr. Squires: I can make a 4-leaf clover with my tongue
35. What phobias do you have?
Dr. Squires: People dressed up in animal costumes and being in a space I can’t get out of.
36. What musical artist are you ashamed to admit you love?
Dr. Squires: Justin Bieber
37. What would you do (for a career) if you weren’t doing this?
Dr. Squires: Something in sports, maybe PR, marketing, event planning, etc.
39. You’re happiest when?
Dr. Squires: I’m spending time with the people I love.